the Change I Wish to See

...and whatever else it takes to find my pants


This is from the inside of our kitchen looking out; at about 9:15a yesterday (the bedroom view is even worse but showing pictures of my bedroom without having committed to TMI Thursdays seems premature).  Yesterday in DC started out pretty bright.  For those of you have not been invited in yet, the view through those windows usually looks a little more like...


So obviously we're going through a period of adjustment: boarded-up windows, cardboarded-up windows, plastic-sheeted windows, scaffolding, men on scaffolding falling into the house at 7:00a, expert masonry outside my bedroom window at 7:13a...

I haven't asked our landlord what's going on yet.  I'm afraid to hear the obvious truth: our house has been sold into the production set for Saw VI.  All we need is one of us to morph into a creepy guy who thinks he can make the world a better place by eliminating its weakest citizens (though as I think about it, that job description also sounds like an oddly suitable fit for Charles Darwin*).

In the next few weeks they'll start pumping in filth and grime and soul-maiming thing-a-ma-bobbers and we're gonna have to make a difficult decision; a really, really difficult decision: pull the rusty pin that peels off our faces or - (or) - at least just ask what they're doing.  Because with the rent on this place, a responsive landlord, a new Safeway, Busboys & Poets and Five Guys within 4 blocks, and a new Harris Teeter opening soon 2 blocks away, this whole living under construction thing is worth it - even if walking into your kitchen makes you want to grab a baseball bat to fend off zombies piling in brain-hungry**.




*Normally, readers have creative license, too.  But under no circumstances are you to read the Darwin line as anything but hardcore belief in evolution.  I kid because I love.  Need proof?  How's this: I went to school.  And nothing about my 5th grade science class spurred an identity crisis.  And I posted this link.


**Do not roast me if you're someone who knows zombies don't actually eat brains because they prefer souls or something.  Actually, I'm comment-needy.  I'll take the niche-bad...

3 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Have you been to the new Busboys yet? I noticed it yesterday- I used to live up by the first one and loved it.

PS- Jump on the TMI Thursday bandwagon- everyone's doing it!

Unknown said...

Hopefully they aren't out there today...or someone's probably going to die. Maybe they're just rogue masons and are going to knock on your door at some point asking for payment. That would be awkward. But much stranger things have happened on that block of yours.

brad said...

@lilu: i have been. it is really nice. went to watch the final presidential debate. and i have at least a foot on that bandwagon now...

@katie: stranger things indeed.